- Cloud Massage Brand Team
In times like these, it’s important to take a load off every now and again and sit down in a relaxing chair, take a relaxing breath, put on some relaxing music, and, well, relax!
And, as we all know, Sunday is for self care - so take advantage of it!
…Except, here’s the thing: Not everyone really knows how to do that. While it may seem easy to plan a relaxation day, some may find the thought even more stressful than the actual stress that led them there in the first place.
So, what do you do then?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. We here at Cloud Massage are the Rulers of Relaxation. The Gods of Good Vibes. The Masters of Muscle Relief. The key to health and wellness starts with a good massage, and we’re about to show you how to plan a massage-centric self care Sunday for yourself that won’t break the bank, won’t break your back, but will be a game changer.
From the basics of self care, to finding the right foot massager machine to rub the stress away, all the way to the best self care Sunday ideas to get your mind ready for the ultimate relaxation.
So sit back, relax, and…continue relaxing! Here we go!
What is Self Care?
Self care is defined as ‘the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one's own health’. So simple, yet so broad. That’s why we’ve divided up the different types of self care here:
- Physical Self Care: Taking care of your body and muscles (via baths, self care massages, or just resting)
- Emotional Self Care: Giving yourself a much needed pep talk, saying no to stressful things, making plans with friends, etc.
- Spiritual Self Care: Spending time outdoors, meditating, being kind to others, writing in a journal, etc.
However, many people associate self care with indulgence or ‘cheat days’ - which can be fun occasionally, but that’s not really what having a self care Sunday is about.
Self care is the act of bettering oneself, and improving our health in a relaxing way. This means taking care of our minds and bodies, not overwhelming them with indulgent foods and activities.
If that seems overwhelming, don’t sweat - the purpose of this article is to help you relax. Here’s a basic outline of Sunday self care activities - from suds to smells to shiatsu and everything in between!
- Baths: Bath bombs, bath salts, bath oils…the options are endless. Nothing quite calms the human mind and body down like warm water and pleasant smells.
- Skin care: Some people associate self care with face masks and lotions - and who could blame them? Taking care of our skin is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves.
- Massage: Massages are almost always on anyone’s ideal self care checklist. However, covid has made getting professional massages a little more stressful. That’s why so many people have turned to getting a foot or leg massager at home to avoid exposure! (Don’t worry, we’ve got plenty of options that can fit in anyone’s budget). Getting a nice shiatsu massage after a hard day of work (or rest) can be exactly what you need for the ultimate self care day.
- Food: When we think of self care food, we typically think of foods that are tasty, but not that good for us. Self care and indulgence can sometimes go hand in hand, but more often than not, having a self care Sunday means eating healthily and avoiding the grog that comes with fatty, sugary foods. Think roasted veggies, fish, and some light carbs, which can be equally delightful! (I know, we’re kidding ourselves a little bit. But think about long-term gratification rather than short-term.)
So, Why is Self Care Important?
Well, because taking care of ourselves is important, of course! That’s a little broad, so we’ve compiled a soothing list of bullet points to look over to get you a little more motivated:
Health Benefits of Giving Yourself a Self Care Day
- It helps with burnout. The daily grind can be fulfilling, but if you go too long without a break, you may find that you’re getting less work done while feeling more fatigued. This is called burnout, and is super common in today’s late-stage capitalist society. Having a self care Sunday is one of the best ways to combat this (aside from forming a union and protesting for 4-day work weeks, of course). It gives your mind some time off from thinking about work, life, and society. Believe us, your body needs this at least once a week.
- The better you feel, the more you succeed. One of the benefits of self care is the fact that recovering from burnout and giving your brain time to relax is a fantastic way to be more productive, happy, and overall successful come Monday!
- It can help you manage stress. Us humans are much more equipped to handle life’s obstacles when we’re feeling at our very best (physically and emotionally). Any kind of physical or mental pampering can give us the opportunity to relax and recharge, ready to take on whatever comes at you.
- It can boost your physical health. Continuing on from the last point, stress can cause us a great deal of damage - not just emotionally, but physically! While you may not get quite as many physical benefits from a self care Sunday that you might from exercise, it still allows your muscles to relax and loosen up - leaving you rested and ready!
- It can help to reduce anxiety and depression. While not a cure, self care can do wonders for our mental health. Giving yourself a day to process your emotions and traumas of the week can be a great way to combat the feeling of being overwhelmed, stressed, and fatigued.
Some Seriously Soothing Self Care Sunday Ideas
So, we’ve gone over what self care is, what it’s good for, and the most common self care focuses. Now what?
Well, time for our self care goals: What are we trying to focus on this Sunday? Whether it’s physical, emotional, or spiritual health, we can do it with this amazing self care routine checklist. Mix and match, pick some you like, or do ‘em all! No matter what, don’t stress about it. ;) Here are some of our favorite self care Sunday ideas to get your mind going:
The Ultimate Self Care Checklist
- Start the day off right by getting a good night’s sleep. This is hard to do for Sunday because Saturday is often the day we adults like to throw down and get wild. However, it’s worth it! Even if you did throw down the night before, it’s okay, because you can always…
- Make your bed/do your laundry. We know, this sounds lame. It’s one of the least liked self care tools you can have in your roster. But getting small tasks done like this can actually bring you quite a bit of serotonin.
- Drink LOTS of water. Nothing helps quite like hydration. Get your Sunday self care routine locked down by buying a water bottle you can take anywhere. It also helps quite a bit with hangovers, so don’t worry - your self care day isn’t lost just because you have a headache!
- Get outside and take a walk. Those of us who work from home (a luxury compared to those who cannot and face covid every day) may still deal with feeling a little cooped up. Get outside and reconnect with nature (or the nearest bodega, if you live in a large city).
- Take a bath. Self care days really aren’t the same without this one. If you don’t like baths or don’t have a bathtub, try a long shower - not quite as relaxing, but hygiene is helpful! Add some eucalyptus, citrus, or lavender essential oil to get that relaxation started. For an extra touch of comfort, get a massage pillow!
- Use a massaging device. Massages, even self massage, provide many of the benefits of self care that people appreciate the most. Whether it’s a foot massager or a massage gun, make sure you have one on hand for when you can’t bring yourself to spend $160 plus tip on a professional self care massage every week. Cloud Massage has got several options for you to find that comfort from home!
- Make yourself a healthy (but delicious) meal. This was mentioned up top, but it’s super important. Complete your self care Sunday right and try to prepare something that won’t make you feel miserable immediately afterwards - veggies, meat/protein, and a delicious side is filling, satisfying, and rejuvenating!
- Go to bed early-ish. You’ve got plenty of time after dinner to do some of your favorite hobbies (drawing, sewing, video games, etc), but make sure you get some sleep. Monday is coming sooner than you think.
There you have it - some great self care ideas that won’t drain your finances or your brain. For more soothing tips, relaxing tricks, and relieving products, don’t forget to check out the Cloud Massage website!
Happy Self Care Sunday, y’all!
Contributing Writer: Aurora Detor